Sunday 7 July 2013

If you want to feel rich...


|1|

 

 Just putting it out there, I fucking suck at managing money. It makes both the highpoint of my week when my $704 weekly wage gets paid into my account, and the depressingly low point when I check my balance and a big fat $0.00 stares me in the face just a few days later. Its no secret that my priorities are well and truly bogus and I'll happily put off my car loan payment to be able to buy an overly priced jumper with a brand name stamped on it. Now that I am an adult at 24 years old, I will very soon be paying a mortgage for our house that my love, Mr P, had to get a loan for because the bank gave a big FUCK YOU to my credit rating and pretty much laughed in my face. I guess this is where the truth has come from. Its time to stop being a spoilt-but-broke-as-shit little girl and grow the hell up to at least manage to pay my bills on time and have a bit of coin left to buy a coffee on Tuesday night before payday.

 It is totally not as easy as it sounds though. Don't Spend Money. Um, who the hell is capable of that?! Everything costs money these days, and blow me down if the price of things doesn't go up every other fucking week! Perfect example, Mr P and I went to the cinema yesterday. We had a free ticket because we're members of the Grand Cinema Club (sound pretentious much?) so saved $11 but fuck me, to buy one ticket, a large popcorn, two frozen cokes and a bag of half-air-half-Maltesers it cost $30! THIEVES! But hell, we paid it. Actually, I paid it, knowing full well that I only had $40 left in my bank account after that.


 And so the cycle continues. I spend more than I should and wait out the painful few days before my payday again. Mr P works away for a week at a time and sometimes, I'll just have noodles for tea because they only cost 60c at Coles. While I'm waiting for the kettle to boil to cook them, I'll be online shopping and wearing something new when I sit down to eat them. Told you. Priorities = fucked!


 So, by admitting to it I'm acknowledging that I need to do something about it. I've said it before, time and time again but enough is enough, right? I want to be able to know that if my car decides to shit itself, I've got money there to pay for it or that I've paid my insurance that month if some bastard runs up the back of me at the traffic lights while I'm on my way to the shops. Ok, so I've got a lot of work to do. There is alot of boring-ass finance shit to learn about and understand but the idea of this blog is to share with you what I find on this journey that is becoming a responsible-as-fuck adult and living a fucking cool life on a stingy ass budget.


Jess x

2 comments:

  1. I hear where your coming from and it's so painful, I'd rather feel good in my expensive jeans then pay a bill because I feel better, but then I've decided to start a hobbie instead of spend but you have to treat yourself after a long week I want to award myself with a treat!! I deserve it and I'm sure you do but how can we manage this!! Money money money!!! It's a painful thing to have and it's gone way to soon!! It's a bitch but everyone wants more and more .. Most are feel they would be happy if they became rich all I can see is more fake friends, and maybe I could go on holiday but that won't buy love and meaningful things, it's interesting and I no exactly where your coming from :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I am so proud of you. Why? Because you are 24 years old...and at least you are realizing that things need to change for your financial health. I am 38 years old and just started making changes.

    Keep sharing, keep writing, stay positive!!!:)


    http://thenakeddebt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It'll be up here soon, I just need to make sure no spamming bastards are getting through. Cheers!